Mom's Easy Vegan Apple Pie 🍏 A simply delicious homemade apple pie made with fresh apples, cinnamon, pure maple syrup, vegan butter and a splash of lemon juice baked in a light & flaky pastry crust.
Who doesn't love homemade apple pie warm from the oven? Particularly when it is from a beloved tried & true family recipe, like this one - my mom's easy vegan apple pie recipe. The amazing aroma of spices and apples wafting from your kitchen will make your home feel so cozy & welcoming.
A friend recently delivered a huge box of assorted freshly picked apples from his mountain home. As soon as I saw them, my mind went into overdrive thinking about all the delish dishes I could make with them. First, I whipped up a batch of homemade applesauce, then a jar of the best vegan honey made with fresh apple juice, followed by a vegan apple crisp and finally, a couple scrumptious vegan apple pies created from this recipe.
Table of Contents
🍎 The ABC's on making the best vegan apple pie
🍏 A is for apples.
It all begins with the apples. Select an assortment of apples to use in your pie. I like to combine sweet and tart varieties such as Granny Smith, Fuji, Honeycrisp, Rome - at least 2 or 3 different types. The tastier the apples, the better the pie.
🍏 B is for butter.
Choose a vegan butter you love, as you will be using it in your apple pie filling and homemade crust.
🍏 C is for crust.
There's nothing quite like a homemade pie crust. If you haven't made one before, you may be surprised just how easy it is to create your own flaky & delicious crust. This recipe for an easy vegan pie crust is my go-to for savory or sweet recipes that require a crust, including our fan favorites: Vegan Spinach Mushroom Quiche and Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie, as well as these delish comfort food recipes: Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie and Vegan Easy Cheesy Broccoli Pot Pie.
See the downloadable recipe below for quantities & complete details and be sure to watch our vegan pie crust video.
🍎 Pie Filling
- Apples - assorted varieties (your choice)
- Maple syrup
- Flour - all purpose
- Lemon juice
- Vegan butter - we love Miyoko's
🍎 Pie Crust
- Flour - all purpose
- Vegetable shortening
- Vegan butter
- Cold water
Here's the basics for making an apple pie. See the printable recipe card below for complete details.
Peel, core, and slice apples.
Place apple slices in a pot with lemon juice & water.
Add other ingredients and simmer for 2 minutes on stove.
Make a pie crust or place store-bought dough into pie dish.
Add apple filling. Cover with top crust & bake at 375℉ for 40-50 minutes.
🍏 Serving tip
Allow the pie to set on a wire rack for 30-40 minutes. Serve warm with vegan vanilla ice cream or whipped topping.
A nice warm slice of Mom's easy vegan apple pie!
While some pie crust recipes use only shortening, we prefer the combination of the two. Butter adds flavor and flakiness to the crust. Shortening has a high melting point, so it is easy to work into the flour and keeps the dough soft. Shortening also makes the dough pliable, which is perfect for creating decorative crusts.
If your crust appears to be browning too quickly, use a silicone pie crust shield or create a collar with a strip of foil and wrap it around the edge of the pie, just covering the crust. Place the pie back in the oven and finish baking.
You will need to replace the flour used in the pie filling with either tapioca powder or cornstarch. I suggest using half (or less) of the quantity listed in the recipe. For the pie dough, I recommend using a 1-1 gluten-free flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill or King Arthur gluten-free flour. Most vegan butters and vegetable shortening are gluten-free, but you should always read the package labels to make sure all products you use are labeled gluten-free.
I suggest covering the pie with food safe plastic wrap and refrigerating it up to 3 days. Reheat in a microwave if desired.
If you love this recipe ★★★★★ please be sure to rate it below! Sharing your experience lets me know that you enjoyed it and will help other readers decide if they should give the recipe a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕
Mom's Easy Vegan Apple Pie
- Large mixing bowl
- Vegetable peeler
- Large slotted spoon
- Rolling Pin
Vegan Apple Pie Filling
- 8 large apples assorted varieties - peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice or juice of one lemon
- 3 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- 3 tablespoon flour all-purpose, sifted
- ¾ C maple syrup
- 3 tsps vanilla
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 pie crusts unbaked - see recipe for easy vegan pie crust or store-bought
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Add all other ingredients and stir gently. Simmer covered for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In the meantime, prepare vegan pastry pie crust
- Divide dough into two equal amounts.
- Fill with with prepared apples, scooping apples with a slotted spoon. Discard the additional liquid, as it will make the pie too wet.
- Roll out top crust. You can use a solid top crust or cut into strips to create a lattice top. For a solid top crust, be sure to create slits in top crust to vent pie while cooking.
- Bake at 375º for 40 - 50 minutes until apples are bubbling and crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Allow to set for 30-40 minutes before serving.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove