Vegan Broccoli Cheese Pot Pie 🌱 Broccoli, potatoes and carrots baked with a rich & creamy cheddary vegan cheese sauce nestled in a buttery flaky crust. Comfort food just got cozier!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
Earlier this week I had a craving for veggie pot pie, so I indulged myself and made a batch. They were so incredibly good that I was inspired to try out a new recipe I’ve been pondering on for awhile – a vegan version of the popular frozen Amy’s Broccoli Pot Pie with Cheddar Cheese Sauce.
I wanted to see if I could recreate the recipe with all plant-based ingredients. Guess what? Nailed it! Even better than the original since it’s 100% vegan!
I baked the pot pies in mini cast iron dutch ovens and then popped one out to see what I had. A scrumptious medley of tender, fresh organic veggies combined with our zesty, rich vegan cheese sauce inside a flaky pie pastry. Oh my vegan tastebuds! It was so incredibly delish and so satisfying!
Look at that rich cheddary cheese sauce. Made with cashews, potatoes, carrot, lemon juice and nutritional yeast aka “nooch”, this sauce is what elevates this vegan easy cheesy broccoli pot pie from yummy to oh wow! If you haven’t tasted nutritional yeast before, it has a nutty cheesy taste to it and is why you’ll find it as a key ingredient in many vegan cheese recipes.
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Pot Pie
This recipe is prepared in three stages:
- Cheese Sauce
- Pie Crust
How to Make Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
How to Make an Easy Vegan Pie Crust
While the cashews are soaking, you can prepare the dough for your pie crust. It’s a good idea to let the dough refrigerate for awhile before rolling it out. You can find our recipe for Easy Vegan Pie Crust here . Be sure to watch my video for more tips on creating your own vegan pie crust.🥕NOTE: If you prefer not to make your own crust, no problem! You can use store bought pie dough too.
How to Make the Filling
You’ll need just a few basic ingredients for this Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Pot Pie: Pie crust, broccoli, potatoes, carrots, cheese sauce and salt & pepper. That’s it! 🥕See complete recipe below for details.
Hot out of the oven! So good!
🥕If you enjoyed this recipe, you’re going to love these delish dishes!
- Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie
- Best Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Vegan Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Best Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
very vegan 🌱 very good
Vegan Broccoli Cheese Pot Pie
- High speed blender or food processor (for cheese sauce)
- 5 qt or larger stovetop pot with lid
- 4 qt stovetop pot with lid
- Steamer basket
- Mixing bowl – large
- large strainer or colander
- Vegetable peeler
- Pastry cutter or fork
- Silicone pastry mat or clean flat surface (for rolling pie dough)
- Rolling Pin
- Long handled spoon or spatula
- baking sheet
- Parchment paper or foil
- 4 oven-proof 8 oz (1 cup) ramekins
- 1 1/2 cups easy vegan cheese sauce
- 1 cup flour all-purpose
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening chilled
- 1/4 cup vegan butter chilled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 – 3 tsp cold water
Broccoli Potato Carrot Filling
- 1 lb broccoli florets fresh or frozen – cut into small pieces
- 1 lb potatoes Yukon Gold – peeled & diced in small cubes
- 1 cup carrots peeled & diced into small cubes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Prepare pie crust according to recipe (unless store-bought) and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Divide pie dough in four equal pieces, then divide each piece into approx. 1/3 and 2/3 pieces, creating enough pieces to create 4 bottom crusts (2/3) and 4 top crusts (1/3).
- Roll out each of the 4 bottom crusts making sure they are large enough to line the inside of your ramekins. It's fine if the dough is quite thin or transparent. Use your fingers to press the dough in place all the way around. Use a knife to trim off the top edge around the rim of the ramekins.
- Once the ramekins are filled with veggies and cheese sauce, roll out the top crusts and place gently over the top of the filling. Press the edges of the top and bottom crusts together to seal and trim away excess dough. Use the point of a knife to pierce three or four small slits in the top crust.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Chop broccoli florets into small pieces
- Peel and dice carrots into small cubes
- Peel and dice potatoes into small cubes
- Place broccoli and carrots in steamer basket. Place in 4 qt pan with a few inches of water in the bottom. Cover with lid. Place on stove over medium heat. Allow veggies to steam approx 7 minutes until just tender, not mushy. Remove from heat and drain water.
- Place potatoes is 5 qt or larger pan. Cover with water at least 2 inches above potatoes. Cover with lid and place on stove over med-high heat. Bring to a rolling boil. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes until just tender, not mushy. Remove from heat and drain in colander.
- Place broccoli, carrots and potatoes in large mixing bowl. Pour about 1-1/2 cups of the cheese sauce over the veggies (add more sauce if you want your pot pies extra-cheesy). Using a large spoon or spatula, gently toss the veggies in the cheese sauce, thoroughly combining.
- Spoon filling into prepared ramekins and cover with top pie crust. (See instructions for pie crust above).
- Place ramekins on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake at 425° for approx. 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown. I suggest keeping an eye on them after about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on baking rack. Allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!