Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie 🌱 A cozy combo of carrots, potatoes, veggies and tofu in a creamy & savory sauce surrounded by a buttery flaky crust. This is comfort food done right.
I’ve always enjoyed veggie pot pies, even the frozen ones from the grocery store. I like the idea of a one dish meal contained in a pie crust. There’s just something very appealing about it.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
A few years ago I was in the mood for pot pie and decided to make my own. Using ingredients I had on hand, I recreated a traditional chicken pot pie recipe using all plant-based ingredients, including tofu. It turned out so good and it was really simple to do!
The flavor & textures were just like I remembered from the pot pies I enjoyed during my childhood, but I loved this version so much more because it was 100% vegan.
How to Make Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie
What’s great about this recipe is you can use what you have on hand. Keep it easy! I love making my own pie crust, but if you don’t have time, store bought pie crust is fine! I like to keep frozen mixed veggies in my freezer & they’re ideal for pot pie. If you don’t have tofu in your fridge, no worries. Cut up vegan chicken strips, seitan, or add chickpeas instead.
With just a few basic ingredients and some simple steps, you’ll have the best vegan pot pies out of the oven in about an hour!
See full recipe below for complete instructions
Hot out of the oven!
If you enjoyed our Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie, you’ll love these fan favorite comfort food recipes!
- Best Vegan Quiche
- Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Best Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- Easy Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Best Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
very vegan 🌱 very good
Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie
- 8 – 8oz oven proof ramekins or two 32 oz round baking dishes or one 64 oz soufflé dish
- 5 qt stove top pot
- 4 qt stove top pot with lid
- 1 skillet
- 1 baking sheet
- 2 cups tofu firm or extra firm – drained and diced in small cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp sage dried or fresh – minced
- 1 cup potatoes Yukon Gold – peeled and diced in small cubes
- 1-1/2 cups mixed vegetables frozen/thawed – carrots, peas, green beans, corn
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp thyme dried or fresh – minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 2 pie crusts (top and bottom crust) vegan store bought dough or homemade – see recipe our recipe for Easy Vegan Pie Crust
- Prepare pie crust dough and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Press and drain tofu. Dice into small cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in skillet. Add tofu and 1/2 tsp garlic salt and sage. Cook over medium high heat, turning frequently until tofu is just lightly browned. Remove from heat.
- In a 4 qt pot, cover diced potatoes in water. Cover and bring to a boil for 5 – 7 minutes until just slightly tender (don't over cook). Drain water and set aside.
- Melt butter in 5 qt pot over med-high heat. add onions and sauté until tender. Gradually add flour, stirring continuously. Once flour has thickened into a paste-like consistency, began adding broth and bouillon – a small amount at a time – stirring constantly, allowing sauce to thicken before adding more liquid. Add thyme, salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and gently mix in potatoes, tofu, and thawed veggies. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Fill bottom of ramekins or pie plate with pie crust dough.
- Spoon veggie/sauce mixture into pie crust until just below top edge.
- Place top layer of pie crust dough over veggie/sauce mixture. Seal edges all around and pierce top of crust 3 or 4 times with a small knife.
- Place pot pie(s) on foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 30 – 40 minutes until crust is golden brown.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!