Best Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup 🌱 You’ll feel so good indulging in this healthy delicious & nutritious whole-food plant-based creamy soup. Gluten-free and oil-free, comfort food just doesn’t get much better than this.
The addition of potato and fresh carrots make this thick & delish vegan cream of broccoli soup so satisfying!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
I’ve always loved cream soups. When my kids were young, I would frequently make a big pot of cream of broccoli or potato soup, sometimes adding homemade croutons and grated cheese. My recipe included a fair amount of butter, flour and milk. When my daughter Madison decided to become vegan, she started making her own plant-based version, combining both broccoli and potatoes, as well as carrots. It was so delicious!
Not long ago, I was browsing through a Forks Over Knives magazine and ran across a recipe for a cream of broccoli soup that caught my attention. What intrigued me was the recipe required no added fat, oil or flour. I showed it to Madison and she decided to give it a try.
It was remarkably thick, rich and creamy. We loved the texture but felt the flavor could be bumped up quite a bit and it needed the oomph of a splash of color. By adding just the right herbs and seasonings, plus the vibrant goodness and sweet flavor of carrots 🥕 Madi’s updated version of this whole-food plant-based creamy broccoli soup recipe instantly became our new favorite!
The beauty of this recipe is you can prepare it fully loaded like we do, or you can make a basic cream of potato or cream of broccoli soup simply by omitting the additional chopped veggies.
How to make the best vegan creamy broccoli soup
You’re going to love how quick and easy it is to prepare this yummy vegan cream of broccoli soup. With a few basic ingredients, in about an hour you’ll have soup! Serve it in small bowls with two or three toasty croutons (gluten-free if needed) as a perfect starter or dish up a big bowl and make a meal of it! I love to add a pinch of paprika or nutmeg & a sprinkle of fresh basil on top.
Can you use almond milk instead of dairy milk in this soup?
Absolutely! In fact you can use most nut milks or plant-based milks in this recipe. I suggest using almond, oat, cashew, soy or rice milk. Avoid sweetened, coconut or any flavored milk that might overpower the savory taste of this soup.
🥕See the full recipe below
We make this soup so often I can’t even begin to guess how many times we’ve had it in the last few months alone – it’s that good. I do hope you’ll give it try! Be sure to let me know what you think!
🥕See more easy & delicious vegan soup recipes
- Best Vegan Tom Yum Soup
- Vegan Rustic Vegetable Soup
- Easy Garden Fresh Gazpacho
- Vegan Avocado Cucumber Soup – Chilled
very vegan 🌱 very good
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please rate it using stars in the comment section below the recipe. It helps other readers find it online & decide if they want to give it a try too!. Thanks a bunch!🥕
Best Vegan Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Large stove top pot (5 qt or more)
- Immersion Blender or Blender
- large strainer or colander
- 1 C yellow onion diced
- 1 C celery diced (reserve half)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ C water
- 5 C potato russet – peeled and cubed (reserve 2 cups)
- 4 C broccoli small florets – reserve half
- 1 carrot peeled & cut into rounds
- 2 C almond milk or a vegan milk of your choice
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans drained & rinsed
- 2 C vegetable broth
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp dried dill
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt add more to taste if desired
- ¼ tsp black pepper freshly ground
- Place onion, ½ C celery, and 3 cloves garlic into 5 qt. or larger pot.
- Place over medium heat.
- Add water, one tbsp at a time to keep veggies from sticking.
- Continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings, 3 C potatoes, ½ C broccoli, beans, rice milk, and broth.
- Cover pot. Raise heat to high. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Once potatoes are tender, use immersion blender to thoroughly puree soup.
- In a separate pot, steam remaining broccoli, celery and carrots until just tender, or sauté in a skillet with a small amount of water. Add additional water as needed, Don't let the veggies burn.
- Place remaining 2 C potatoes in a stove top pot. Cover with water (about 2 inches above potatoes) and place over high heat. Place lid on pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to med-high and simmer for 7 – 10 minutes until they can be easily pierced with the end of a knife. Remove from heat and drain.
- Add remaining broccoli, celery, carrots and potatoes to soup. Continue heating on low for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please rate it in the comments below. Sharing your experience helps others decide if they should give it a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕