New Vegan Shepherd’s Pie 🌱 A deliciously elevated plant-based version of a classic comfort dish, also known as Gardener’s Pie. Filled with mushrooms, lentils, onions, carrots & peas in a rich gravy and topped with mashed potatoes and cauliflower. Hearty, healthy & so satisfying!
What could be more inviting than coming home to one of these veggie & potato filled mini casseroles, toasty hot from the oven? This is comfort food known as New Vegan Shepherd’s Pie or Gardener’s Pie.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
What is Shepherd’s Pie?
Shepherd’s Pie is a popular one-dish meal that originated in the UK at least two-hundred years ago. Created as a way to stretch leftovers, the traditional version of Shepherd’s Pie consists of meat, gravy and vegetables baked with a toasty topping of mashed potatoes. Visit a British or Irish pub and chances are you’ll find Shepherd’s Pie on the menu.
What is New Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Sometimes called Gardener’s Pie or Shepherd-less Pie, most vegan Shepherd’s Pie recipes contain many of the same ingredients as a traditional version, but without meat or dairy products. For this recipe, we have replaced the meat with lentils and use vegan butter and non-dairy milk in the mashed potatoes & cauliflower. We also made sure to use a vegan-friendly stout (believe it or not, many beers are not vegan).
🥕NOTE: You can prepare this recipe without stout. *See below for more info.
How to make the best vegan Shepherd’s or Gardener’s Pie
- 4 qt or larger dutch oven or stove top pot
- 3 qt saucepan
- Cutting board
- Kitchen knife
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Mesh strainer
- 4 oven-proof 8 oz (1 cup) ramekins or mini dutch ovens
- Vegetable broth
- Butter – vegan
- Non-dairy milk
- Stout beer (optional)
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
See the complete recipe below for directions
Did you enjoy this recipe? Check out these other delish dishes!
- Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Vegan Easy Cheesy Broccoli Pot Pie
very vegan 🌱 very good
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please rate it using stars in the comment section below the recipe. It helps other readers find it online & decide if they want to give it a try too!. Thanks a bunch!🥕
New Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 qt or larger dutch oven
- 3 qt saucepan
- Mesh strainer
- 4 oven-proof 8 oz (1 cup) ramekins
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 lb mushrooms button or cremini – thinly sliced
- 1 small leek thinly sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled & diced in ¾" cubes
- ½ C lentils green or brown – rinsed
- 1-¼ C vegetable broth
- 10 oz potatoes Russet or Yukon Gold – peeled/cubed
- 1-½ C cauliflower roughly chopped florets
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- ½ C non-dairy milk rice or soy
- 1-½ tbsp flour sifted
- 4 oz stout beer optional *🥕See notes below
- 1 tomato peeled/seeded/chopped
- ¾ C green peas fresh, frozen, or canned
- ½ tsp rosemary fresh – finely chopped or dried** 🥕See notes below
- ¼ tsp oregano fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- ¼ tsp sage fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- 1 tsp parsley fresh – finely chopped or dried**🥕See notes below
- ½ tsp thyme fresh – finely chopped or dried** 🥕See notes below
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper fresh ground
- Pour olive oil into a 4 qt Dutch oven or heavy bottom sauce pan. Begin heating on stove at medium-high temperature.
- Add leek, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir in ¼ tsp salt & ¼ tsp pepper. Sauté until tender, stirring frequently. Adjust heat as needed to prevent garlic from burning.
- Add carrots, lentils and broth. Increase heat, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Preheat oven at 425°
- In a bowl or measuring cup, combine flour with 4 oz Stout (* or ½ C water with 1 tsp vegan bouillon)
- Pour into veggies and lentils, add tomatoes & peas. Stir until slightly thickened. Add herbs, thoroughly combine.
- Spoon lentils/veggie mixture into ramekins.
- Spoon mashed potato/cauliflower on top.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet (to catch liquid that may bubble over)
- Bake at 425° for 10-15 minutes, until potatoes become slightly browned.
- Allow Shepherd's Pies to set for 10 – 15 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with a sprig of thyme or diced scallion.
Mashed Potato & Cauliflower Topping
- In a 3 qt or larger saucepan, cover potatoes and cauliflower in water & ¼ tsp salt. Cover, place on high until boiling. Lower heat to a rolling simmer until tender – approx 15 -20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and throughly drain.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please rate it in the comments below. Sharing your experience helps others decide if they should give it a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕