Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce 🌱 The creamiest, dreamiest, tastiest cheese sauce made with healthy plant-based ingredients like cashews, carrots, potatoes and fresh lemon. Gluten-free and oil-free. Very vegan & very good!
Becoming vegan does not mean you have to give up the foods you love, including cheese. By using the right plant-based ingredients to replace animal products, not only can you still enjoy your favorite dishes, you can make them better than ever, like this scrumptious cheese sauce!
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
The Perfect Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
When my husband and I became vegan, the one food item we missed was cheese. There’s just something about the bright flavor and creamy texture that cheese adds to so many recipes like pasta, veggies, tacos, and of course – nachos.
Problem was, there just weren’t any great tasting vegan cheeses available in stores. There were a few products that were trying to be cheese, but to be honest, the taste and textures were more like plastic. We realized if we wanted to enjoy what we loved about cheese, we needed to figure out a way to make it ourselves.
We tried several different recipes, but couldn’t find anything quite right, so we enlisted our daughter’s creative cooking skills and uncanny knack at dialing in flavors and texture. Sure enough, she found just the right combination and balance of ingredients.
This delicious sauce has the tart bite of sharp cheddar cheese with the smoothest creamy texture. It enhances anything you pour it on: pasta, baked potatoes, meatballs, cauliflower, asparagus, fries, veggie burgers, nachos, tacos, and more. Whatever you like with cheese, this is your sauce!
How to Make Vegan Cheese Sauce
This recipe is so easy to make! With just a few basic ingredients, you can whip up the most luscious, tasty & healthy vegan cheese sauce..
Equipment you’ll need:
- High speed blender or food processor
- A colander or strainer
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Veggie peeler
- Citrus juicer
- Kitchen knife
- Cutting board
- One cup raw cashews
- 1 cup non-dairy milk – we prefer rice milk, almond or cashew based milk
- 1 potato
- 2 carrots
- 1-½ Tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
That’s all there is to it to make this easy peasy cheesy sauce!
What is Nutritional Yeast?
One of the key ingredients in this recipe is nutritional yeast, aka “nooch“. Nutritional yeast has a cheesy, nutty, savory, umami flavor that many people enjoy sprinkled on foods like potatoes, pasta, popcorn, pizza and veggies.
Nutritional yeast is the same type of yeast used for bread baking and brewing beer – with a few differences*.
- Baker’s yeast: Baker’s yeast is purchased alive and used to leaven bread. The yeast is killed during cooking but adds an earthy, yeasty flavor to bread.
- Brewer’s yeast: Brewer’s yeast can be purchased alive and is used to brew beer. The dead yeast cells leftover from the brewing process can be consumed as a nutritional supplement but have a very bitter taste.
- Nutritional yeast: This yeast is grown specifically to be used as a food product. The yeast cells are killed during manufacturing and not alive in the final product. It is used in cooking and has a cheesy, nutty or savory flavor.
Is Nutritional Yeast Good for You?
It is a complete protein: Nutritional yeast contains all nine essential amino acids that humans must get from food. One tablespoon contains 2 grams of protein, making it an easy way for vegans to add high-quality protein to meals.
It contains many B vitamins: One tablespoon of nutritional yeast contains 30–180% of the RDI for B vitamins. When fortified, it is especially rich in thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12.
It contains trace minerals: One tablespoon contains 2–30% of the RDI for trace minerals, such as zinc, selenium, manganese and molybdenum. Trace minerals are involved in gene regulation, metabolism, growth and immunityWhy Is Nutritional Yeast Good for You? healthline.com 11/30/2017
See the complete recipe below.
Create a festive nachos bar with a basket of fresh tortilla chips, guacamole, jalapeños, salsas, black beans, our refreshing watermelon pico de gallo, and a generous serving of this amazing vegan queso cheese!
This quick mac and cheese is irresistibly yummy with a sprinkle of smoked paprika, red pepper flakes & fresh basil.
🥕This easy vegan cheese sauce is perfect with these delish dishes!
- Vegan Easy Cheesy Broccoli Pot Pie
- Cuban Crushed Potatoes
- Easy Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Vegan Lemon Roasted Potatoes
- Best Vegan Homemade Soft Pretzels
very vegan 🌱 very good
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- High speed blender or food processor
- mixing bowl
- large strainer or colander
- Vegetable peeler
Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked overnight – see notes below
- 1 cup non-dairy milk we use rice milk, almond or cashew based milk
- 1 large potato cut into large pieces and boiled until tender
- 2 whole carrots cut into large pieces and boiled until tender
- 1-½ tbsp nutritional yeast this our favorite brand
- ¼ cup lemon juiced – approx one whole lemon
- 2 tsp salt fine
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Soak cashews covered in room temperature water overnight or cover in boiling water and allow to soak for 2 hours. Drain in strainer and rinse with fresh water.
- Peel potatoes and carrots and cut into large pieces. Place in 4 qt or larger stovetop pot, cover with water (about 2" over veggies) and cover with lid. Bring to a rolling boil over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes until tender. Remove from heat and drain in colander or strainer.
- Place cashews, potatoes, carrots, and remaining ingredients into blender or food processor. Run at high speed until thoroughly pureed and creamy.
- Sauce can be used heated or cold, depending on how you like it. To heat, pour amount needed into a stove top pan over low heat, stirring frequently until desired temperature.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please rate it in the comments below. Sharing your experience helps others decide if they should give it a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕