Vegan Citrus Compound Butter 🍊Homemade plant-based butter combined with fresh citrus, herbs, and natural ingredients. Vegan butter just got better!
The fruit trees in my yard have been particularly abundant this year, so much so that I was inspired to find new ways to make use of all of the goodness and vitamin C in each piece of fruit. 🍊I jotted down several recipe ideas, this one being the first on my list - Vegan Citrus Compound Butter.
Compound butter is simply butter that has been combined with sweet or savory ingredients that add flavor to your favorite vegan butter, like fresh herbs, spices, vegan honey, (See FAQ's below). It's fun and easy to prepare and will enhance any dish you use it on, from baked goods to pasta or veggies.
I wanted to make use of all those gorgeous citrus fruits, so here is what I made:
Orange Maple Butter 🍊
and . . .
Lime Chili Butter🌶
and . . .
Lemon Basil Butter 🍋
They were each uniquely different and absolutely delicious!
NOTE: I made these citrus compound butters using homemade vegan butter prepared with this recipe here. It's very easy to make and well-worth giving a try. If you prefer to use store bought butter, see the FAQ's below.
- Orange juice - fresh
- Orange zest - fresh
- Maple syrup - substitute with vegan honey or agave nectar
- Lime juice - fresh
- Lime zest - fresh
- Chili lime seasoning
- Lemon juice - fresh
- Lemon zest - fresh
- Fresh basil
- Vegan butter - homemade or store bought
It's so easy making your own vegan citrus compound butter. With just a few ingredients & a blender, you can prepare the creamiest & tastiest butter ever! First you'll want to make a batch of this super delish vegan butter. Be sure to check out the recipe and watch our video.
Next, you just need to gather some fruit, fresh herbs & spices, and something sweet, like maple syrup, vegan honey, or agave nectar. Once you have all your ingredients, you're ready to whip up a batch of the tastiest butter!
See the printable recipe card below for quantities & complete details.
Orange Maple Butter
You won't believe how scrumptious this butter tastes spread on our Easy Vegan Corn Bread. Made with this simple Vegan Butter recipe and infused with fresh orange juice, zest, and organic maple syrup. Yum!
Lime Chili Butter
This zesty fresh lime & chili compound butter is all you need to kick up the flavor in sweet corn. Imagine it on grilled corn on the cob!
Lemon Basil Butter
Put a dab of this delish lemony-basil butter on top of plain spaghetti or pasta. The brightness and tangy flavor of the lemon and basil is fantastico!
Be sure to watch our vegan butter video!
What is compound butter?
Compound butter, also known as "beurre composé" in French, is butter that has been combined with ingredients that will add flavor, such as fresh or dry herbs, citrus zest or juice, maple syrup, vegan honey, peppers, garlic, or vegan cheeses.
Can I make compound vegan butter with store bought butter?
Yes, simply soften the butter of your choice and stir in the ingredients you want to add. Form into cube shapes by spooning the soft butter into silicone ice cube trays or place butter on parchment paper and roll into a log shape. Freeze or refrigerate until hard, then slice and use as needed.
very vegan 🌱very good
Vegan Citrus Compound Butter
- blender or food processor
- One rubber or silicone spatula
- Silicone ice cube tray or small covered container
- t tablespoon orange juice fresh
- t teaspoon orange zest fresh
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- t tablespoon lime juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon lime zest fresh
- ½ teaspoon chili lime seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil minced
- Prepare one batch of vegan butter per recipe
- Divide butter in 3 equal portions
- Pour ⅓ butter into blender
- Add orange juice, orange zest, maple syrup
- Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds
- Pour into silicone ice cube mold or small covered container
- Thoroughly rinse blender container
- Repeat same process using ingredients for Lime Chili butter and Lemon Basil Butter
- Cover silicone ice cube mold or small covered containers
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving
- Butter can be stored for 2 -3 weeks refrigerated or 3 months in freezer
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Don’t leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
Connie Edwards McGaughy
Add flavor to food with your own homemade citrus infused vegan butter! Such a simple and tasty way to enhance almost any dish!