Best Vegan Spinach Mushroom Quiche 🌱 This delicious plant-based quiche recipe is as good as it gets! Baked in a flaky homemade crust, filled with vegan cheeses, fresh spinach, mushrooms and without tofu. It's simply divine!
Real vegans eat quiche, like this fabulous vegan spinach mushroom quiche!
I love 'veganizing' old family recipes, but there are some traditional dishes that are almost impossible to make without certain key ingredients - like quiche - which is basically an egg and cheese pie.
Over the years, I've made a few unsuccessful attempts trying to create a recipe for vegan quiche that really worked. The flavor was amazing but the texture and consistency wasn't quite right. There are lots of recipes out there using tofu, and don't get me wrong - I like tofu - just not in quiche. I was on a mission to create a perfect vegan version of a traditional quiche, capturing just the right texture and taste but without tofu.
What to use instead of egg in a vegan quiche?
Problem was, up until recently, there just weren't any suitable egg replacers that worked well for quiche. Until now.
Thanks to the talented geniuses at JUST, we home cooks now have JUST Egg, a vegan egg substitute that requires no mixing or preparation. Straight from the bottle, it's ideal for egg-centric dishes, like quiche. I found that out when my daughter and I decided to prepare her grandma's traditional spinach quiche recipe using JUST Egg instead of eggs. Oh WOW. We nailed it, creating the best vegan spinach mushroom quiche!
FYI - this is not a sponsored post. We're just big fans of this product.
What an amazing recipe! I made it again this weekend. Thanks for the game changing brunch idea! Denice K.
What is the best vegan cheese for quiche?
There's never been a better time to be vegan. With so many fabulous options in non-dairy butters and cheese, you can enjoy many of your favorite traditional cheese-centric dishes using all vegan ingredients.
For this quiche recipe, I suggest using a variety - two or three - different types of cheese. Most vegan cheeses tend to be softer than dairy cheese. That's ok. Just find cheeses that you like. Here are some of the cheeses we like and have used at various times in this recipe:
- Miyoko's Creamery - Cream cheese, Cultured Cheddar, & Mozz
- Kite Hill - Cream cheese & Ricotta
- Chao - Cheese slices
- Violife - Parmesan
- Vromage - Small batch Artisan cheese
This scrumptious, easy vegan quiche recipe is ideal for brunch, lunch, dinner, Mother's Day or any day!
How to make vegan quiche
I know I say this a lot, but this recipe is easier to prepare than you might think. Yes, there are several steps involved, but each one is fairly simple to do. You can save time by using store-bought pie crust, but making your own homemade vegan pie crust is fun and easy to do.
First thing you should do is watch my quiche video. It offers lots of helpful tips that will make your quiche baking experience that much better. Be sure to read through the step by step instructions and ingredients list for making the best vegan spinach mushroom quiche. 🥕Note: Since filming the video, I have reduced the amount of butter used to prepare the filling. Follow the quantity listed in the printable recipe card below.
Make your own easy vegan pie crust
I recommend making your own pie crust. There is nothing quite like a flaky homemade crust. It's easy to do and so much better than store-bought, but you can certainly use a pre-made pie dough if you don't have time to make your own. I also suggest watching my pie crust video.
You can add or substitute a variety of veggies in this recipe like:
🥕 Top Tips
Here are a few simple tricks to make sure your quiche sets firmly after baking.
- Be sure to use JUST Egg. I have not yet found other egg replacers that work well in quiche.
- Cooked spinach will retain water, so be sure to press out the liquid or give it the good ol' Popeye squeeze to thoroughly drain any excess liquid from the spinach before adding other ingredients.
- Soft vegetables like tomatoes and zucchini will add extra liquid to your quiche. If you decide to use either in your quiche, I suggest removing the pulp and seeds, otherwise it might not fully set.
- Oven temperatures can vary, and altitude can also affect baking time, so you may want may to adjust the baking time, as needed. To protect your pie crust from getting too brown, wrap a narrow foil collar around the edge of the crust or use a pie crust shield.
- The quiche will continue to set after baking. If after cooling for 30 to 60 minutes, it still isn't as firm as you like, try refrigerating the quiche for a little while.
We love making this quiche a lot! Here are a few we've whipped up!
🥕If you love this quiche recipe, treat yourself to these other delish dishes!
- Easy Homemade Vegan Pot Pie
- Vegan Cheese Fondue Recipe
- Best Vegan Shepherd's Pie
- 5 Star Vegan Mushroom Seitan Wellington
- Vegan Easy Cheesy Broccoli Pot Pie
enjoy 🌱 eat quiche!
Best Vegan Spinach Mushroom Quiche
- large bowl
- 4 qt stove top pot
- large skillet
- 9" pie plate or 10" oven proof quiche dish
- wooden spoon or spatula
- strainer or colander
- 2 tablespoon non-dairy butter
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1-½ C spinach cooked, thoroughly drained and chopped (approx 1.5 lbs fresh spinach before cooking)
- 1 C mushrooms sliced
- 1-½ C vegan cheese grated or diced
- ¾ C vegan egg replacer* equivalent using JUST egg vegan egg substitute
- 1 C non-dairy milk (I use rice milk)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 9" pastry pie shell unbaked - see our recipe for vegan pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Using a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute butter, garlic, and onions until tender. Take care not to burn the garlic.
- Add mushrooms & cooked spinach, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 C cheese (set aside remaining ½ C cheese).
- Pour the JUST Egg/milk mixture into the hot pan with the spinach, mushrooms, and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Bake quiche for 15 minutes at 375º.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over quiche and continue baking for another 35-40 minutes, until pie crust begins to brown.
- Remove quiche from oven and let cool for about an hour (to set).
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.