Easy Vegan Potato Enchilada Casserole 🌶 This zesty, festive dish is like a party on your plate! Add a side of beans, rice & salad and you’ll have the whole enchilada! Easy to prepare & gluten-free.
My husband and I live in San Diego, not far from Mexico. Like most San Diegans who grew up here, we adore Mexican food. You name it. Tacos, tostadas, guacamole, tamales, tortillas, chile rellenos, burritos, quesadillas, frijoles. We could eat it practically every day.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
If you ask my husband John, which dish he loves the most, he’ll tell you, it’s enchiladas. Potato enchiladas to be exact, from his favorite little taco shop – Don Carlos in La Jolla, California. This place has been in the same location for decades and for as many years, have served John’s beloved potato enchiladas. A perfect morning for my husband is getting up at dawn, surfing for a couple hours, followed with a late breakfast enchilada plate at Don Carlos.
One afternoon, I was staring inside my pantry, trying to figure out something to make for dinner. I saw that I had a few russet potatoes, a can of black olives, and some Hatch enchilada sauce. Digging through the fridge, I found a reasonably fresh bunch of green onions, a package of vegan ricotta and some frozen corn. John was out running errands, so I texted him to pick up some corn tortillas and cilantro. Guess what I made? A fantastic vegan potato enchilada casserole! It was SO GOOD! I knew it was a winner as soon as John told me it was his favorite new dish.
How to make an easy vegan potato enchilada casserole
Making this vegan potato enchilada casserole is super simple and actually quite fun. Since the tortillas are cut into individual portion sizes, it’s also easy to serve.
🥕NOTE: To prepare this recipe gluten-free, be sure to use gluten -free corn tortillas that have not been produced with shared equipment.
The first thing you’ll need to when preparing this dish is whip up a batch of mashed potatoes. In case you haven’t made them before, here is my recipe for Simple Vegan Mashed Potatoes.
How to assemble this enchilada casserole
Tortillas, potatoes, green onions, olives, corn, repeat . . .
You get the idea! Just continue creating layers until you’ve filled your baking dish or have run out of ingredients! Top off with the remaining enchilada sauce, vegan cheese, and a sprinkle of green onions.
🥕See the detailed recipe instructions below
It’s just this simple!
You’ll have a vegan potato enchilada casserole ready to bake!
Add fresh cilantro as garnish & enjoy!
If you loved these enchiladas, here’s some more easy & delish dishes!
- Easy Cheesy Vegan Pepper Poppers
- Southwestern Quinoa Salad
- Easy Garden Fresh Gazpacho
- Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Easy Vegan Cheese Sauce
very vegan 🌱 very good
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
Easy Vegan Potato Enchilada Casserole
- large bowl
- small knife
- potato masher
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 1 can black olives sliced
- 1-1/2 C corn
- 15-18 corn tortillas check package for gluten-free – see notes below
- 2 C enchilada sauce red or green (your choice)
- 1 C vegan cream cheese or soft cheese. I use Kite Hill ricotta
- 4 Russet potatoes washed, peeled, quartered
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3/4 C non-dairy milk I prefer rice or soy milk
- salt & pepper to taste
Simple Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Place potatoes into a large pot. Cover potatoes completely with water. Put a lid on the pot and place on stove over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, and continue to boil for 10-15 minutes. You'll know they're ready when a knife or fork easily pierce the potatoes.
- Carefully pour off water into sink and allow potatoes to thoroughly drain in a colander or strainer – at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl and begin mashing.
- Add butter and continue mashing.
- Gradually add milk, a little at a time, and continue mashing until potatoes are the consistency you like.
Easy Vegan Potato Enchilada Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Prepare mashed potatoes (see our full recipe here)
- Using a 9" x 13" baking dish, pour approx. 1/2 C enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish, thoroughly coating with a thin layer of sauce.
- Cut each tortilla into 4 equal squares, trimming off the rounded edges.
- Place one layer of tortilla squares on the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon approx. 1 tbsp of mashed potato onto each square.
- Sprinkle a small amount of onion, olives, and corn on top of each potato covered square.
- Repeat process, creating another layer of tortilla squares, potato, onion, olives, and corn, pressing down lightly between layers.
- Continue creating layers (3-4) until casserole is just below the top of baking dish.
- Pour enchilada sauce evenly over entire casserole.
- Spoon a small dollop of cheese on top of each square.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375º.
- Uncover and continue baking for another 10 minutes, until sauce is bubbling and cheese is slightly brown.
- Serve as is, or garnish with cilantro leaves.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!