Simple Vegan Mashed Potatoes 💚Comfort food should be simple.
Few foods are as comforting as mashed potatoes. There are times when nothing else warms the soul and fills the tummy quite like a dish of fluffy potatoes.
As the daughter of an Idaho farm girl, potatoes were a main staple in our home. My mom prepared potatoes in a million delicious ways, but nothing could top her simple mashed potatoes. Made with a bit of butter, a splash of milk, and a few dashes of salt & pepper, pure potato perfection!
You can dress up these simple vegan mashed potatoes as much as you like! Load on some vegan cheese, sour cream, chives, gravy… oh yum!
How to make perfect simple vegan mashed potatoes?
The secret to mom’s amazing mashed potatoes was her technique for hand-mashing. She loved demonstrating what she referred to as “the whammy”, showing how fast she could whip the potatoes by hand. Her hi-speed hand mashing technique resulted in virtually lump-free potatoes. It never ceased to impress me. However, I don’t mind a few lumps in my mashed potatoes.
🥕Potato tip Use russet potatoes. The high starch and texture of russets make them ideal for mashed potatoes. They soften quicker when cooking and break down easier, resulting in lighter fluffier mashed potatoes.
Simple Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 5 qt or larger covered stovetop pot
- Vegetable peeler
- hand masher or ricer
- large bowl
- 4 large russet potatoes washed, peeled, and quartered
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3/4 C soy milk (plain) or rice milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes into a large pot. Cover potatoes completely with water.
- Put a lid on the pot and place on stove over high heat.
- Bring to a boil, and continue to boil for 10-15 minutes.
- You'll know they're ready when a knife or fork easily pierce the potatoes.
- Carefully pour off water into sink and allow potatoes to thoroughly drain in a colander or strainer.
- Transfer potatoes to a large mixing bowl and begin mashing.
- Add butter and continue mashing.
- Gradually add milk, a little at a time, and continue mashing until potatoes are the consistency you like.