Vegan Coconut Orange Curd 🍊A lightly sweet, citrusy, creamy spread to enjoy on freshly baked scones, biscuits and quick breads. Or whatever you like!
I was in the mood to make something new with my crop of fresh oranges. I'd never made a citrus curd before, so I thought I would give it a try. I found an interesting recipe for vegan lemon curd on The Minimalist Baker, and using it as a jump-off point, I created this version which I call Vegan Coconut Orange Curd.
The results were delicious! Silky smooth, not too sweet, not too tart. The subtle flavor and richness of the coconut cream was nicely offset by the bright taste of the fresh orange. This light and creamy spread adds just the right amount of sweet and citrus to baked goods like oat muffins, my favorite vegan cranberry orange bread, and scones.
🥕 See the printable recipe below for quantities & details
coconut cream - full cream (not coconut milk)
orange zest - freshly grated
orange juice - fresh is best, but bottled or frozen is fine too
maple syrup - may be substituted with agave nectar or vegan honey
arrowroot - powder
Pour coconut cream into a medium to large sauce pan. Add orange zest.
Stir together orange juice and arrowroot in measuring cup. Pour into coconut cream and zest and mix thoroughly. Add maple syrup.
Place saucepan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Stir mixture while it comes to a low boil.
Reduce heat and continue whisking at a low boil, until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat when the curd creates ribbons when you lift the whisk.
Pour the orange curd into jars and refrigerate for a few hours. That's it!
If you love this recipe ★★★★★ please be sure to rate it below! Sharing your experience lets me know that you enjoyed it and will help other readers decide if they should give the recipe a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕
Vegan Coconut Orange Curd
- 4 qt sauce pan
- One or two medium/small mason jars or glass containers
- plastic wrap
- 14 oz coconut cream
- 3 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot
- Whisk together coconut cream and orange zest in saucepan.
- Stir together orange juice and arrowroot in measuring cup.
- Pour juice and arrowroot mixture into coconut cream/zest.
- Whisk in maple syrup.
- Place saucepan on stovetop over medium-high heat. Stir mixture while it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat and continue whisking at a low boil, until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat when the curd creates ribbons when you lift the whisk.
- Allow mixture to sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour mixture into glass jars or container. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming on surface. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.