Easy Vegan Waffles 🧇 Light, fluffy, golden waffles made with dairy-free butter and no eggs. What a simply scrumptious way to start or end your day!
What is it about waffles? Just the word waffle makes me smile. When I think of waffles, I imagine enjoying a lazy Sunday morning, sipping a cup of freshly brewed black coffee, while ladling batter onto a hot waffle maker.
These easy vegan waffles are a guilt-free, cruelty-free, and delicious way to start your day. Top them off with fresh fruits, maple syrup, a dollop of vegan butter or dairy-free whipped cream for an extra touch of indulgence. Waffles are simply wonderful to serve for breakfast or brunch, even dinner!
🧇 Why you'll love this waffle recipe
- Easy to prepare with just a few basic ingredients.
- Delicious taste & texture that will please vegans & non-vegans alike.
- Perfect for making frozen toaster waffles.
- Kids love them.
- Create sweet or savory waffles with this one recipe.
🧇 Ingredient Notes
🥕 See the printable recipe card below for quantities and complete details
Flour - all purpose
Sugar - granulated
Baking powder (use fresh baking powder for the best rising power).
Vegan egg replacer (I use Bob's Red Mill )
Non-dairy milk - of your choice. (I use rice or soy milk)
Vegan butter or vegetable oil
For a little extra flavor or texture, try adding any of these ingredients:
- chopped pecans
- rinsed/dried blueberries
- lemon or orange zest
Savory Vegan Waffles
It's interesting to see how waffles as an entree have evolved - notably waffles combined with savory foods. Imagine, waffles paired with Gardein Crispy Tenders or maple tofu bacon. How about grilled asparagus with vegan hollandaise on waffles? Pizza waffles with vegan cheese & marinara. Sandwich waffles. Gluten-free potato waffles. Cookie waffles. Waffles aren't just for breakfast anymore!
🥕 For savory waffles, replace sugar with 1 teaspoon flour, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon dried herbs or seasoning. You could even add a pinch of pepper if you like.
🥕 For gluten-free waffles, simply replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour of your choice. Make sure to use a gluten-free egg replacer as well. I prefer Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer
Prepare and preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients.
3. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry, until just combined. Don't over-stir.
4. Ladle batter onto waffle maker. Lower top.
5. Cook until golden brown (follow recommended cooking time on waffle maker manufacturer's directions).
6. Serve waffles with warm maple syrup, berries, fresh fruit, vegan whipped cream, chopped nuts, fresh orange zest, maple syrup or just a light dusting of powdered sugar. Enjoy!
🥕 Waffle Tips
Make it even easier on yourself by preparing the batter up to 2 days in advance and store in the fridge. Just be sure to give it a quick whisk before using it.
Mini waffle makers are ideal for cooking toaster-size waffles that can be frozen and reheated in a toaster. Prepare a batch and store them in food-safe ziplock bags in the freezer. You'll be glad you did!
What’s the difference between waffle makers & waffle irons?
The two terms are often used interchangeably, but the real difference is a waffle maker is an electric appliance, whereas a waffle iron in used on a stovetop or campfire. Before electric cooking devices were common, cast iron waffle irons were the standard and used on stoves, open fires and wood stoves.
What is the best waffle maker?
So you’re ready to make waffles, but you don’t have a waffle maker or waffle iron? Not sure which one to buy? Will you be serving waffles for lots of folks or just a few? Do you prefer easy clean up? Do you like to camp & cook outdoors? Are there young children (or big kids) in your household who would love character themed waffles?
Here’s a couple of the “hottest” waffle makers on the market.
One of the top rated Belgian waffle makers is the Cuisinart Belgian Waffle Maker, a professional quality appliance for home use. It features a browning control knob that adjusts to 5-settings for custom cooking from light to dark. This simple, traditional round waffle maker by Presto also receives excellent ratings on Amazon.
Themed Waffle Makers
With so many different styles of waffle makers available today, you can create themed breakfasts.
This Mickey Mouse waffle maker is pure magic for the Disney devotees in your kingdom or queendom.
Star Wars fans have lots of waffle making options, including this Millennium Falcon waffle maker.
For those of you who love outdoor living or glamping, this long-handled cast iron waffle iron will make make your group very happy campers!
There are even mini waffle makers, which are great for single servings. We have one that we bought as a novelty and use it more often than I would have imagined. It's the perfect size for toaster-size waffles. How nice to have waffles in the freezer ready for toasting whenever you want!
I love heart-shape waffles. What a sweet romantic Valentine’s Day breakfast!
Looking for more vegan breakfast or brunch ideas? Check out these easy & delicious recipes!
If you love this recipe ★★★★★ please be sure to rate it below! Sharing your experience lets me know that you enjoyed it and will help other readers decide if they should give the recipe a try too. Thanks a bunch!🥕
Easy Vegan Waffles
- 2 C flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon baking powder level - use fresh baking powder for the best rising power
- 2 vegan egg replacer equivalent of 2 eggs using vegan egg replacer
- 1-¾ C non-dairy milk I use rice or soy milk
- ⅓ C vegan butter melted
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl whisk together wet ingredients.
- Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Mix until just combined together. Don't over-stir.
- Heat waffle maker and use according to manufacturer's directions
- If needed, grease waffle maker by brushing or spraying butter or vegetable oil on cooking surfaces.
- Ladle batter onto waffle maker. Lower top. Cook until golden brown (follow recommended cooking time on waffle maker manufacturer's directions).
- Serve waffles while hot. Enjoy!
- ⅓ C chopped pecans
- ½ C rinsed/dried blueberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon lemon or orange zest
These are estimated values generated from a nutritional database using unbranded products. Please do your own research with the products you're using if you have a serious health issue or are following a specific diet.