Mom’s Vegan Carrot Cake 🥕Fluffy, moist & satisfyingly sweet with just enough spice. It’s the perfect companion with a cup of coffee or tea.
It’s Time for Carrot Cake!
Heck, it always time for carrot cake, but particularly during the time of year when spring is in the air and backyard get togethers & potlucks are in the planning. There’s just something about carrot cake that puts a smile on my face. Particularly carrot cake cupcakes! My mom’s vegan carrot cake cupcakes to be exact.
I absolutely love carrot cake cupcakes – they’re kind of the perfect self-contained all-in-one meal. Think about it – veggies (carrots), fruit (pineapple), protein (walnuts), carbs (flour) – it’s like dinner and dessert all wrapped up in a cute paper cup. Ok, I know that’s a stretch, but I do what I can to justify my vices 🙂
I’ve tried a lot of different carrot cake recipes over the years, but this one is hands-down my all time favorite. Not just because it is my mom’s recipe, but I admit, that does make it just that much sweeter to me. Fluffy and moist, satisfyingly sweet with just enough spice, this carrot cake is the perfect companion with a cup of coffee or tea.
Take a tray of these smile-makers to a party this weekend, and I promise you won’t be taking any home.
How to make vegan carrot cake🥕
One of the things I’ve discovered over the years is how easy is is to adapt many non-vegan baked goods recipes to being entirely plant-based. The best surprise was to find that my updated ‘veganized’ recipes are so much better than the original! Better taste, better texture, better karma!
This particular recipe is super flexible. You can add or delete some ingredients without worry. Want less oil? You can replace the oil with apple sauce, or use half oil, half apple sauce. Want walnuts? Add them! No nuts? That’s ok too. Same with raisins. Make it your own!
This recipe can make one 9″ x 13″ cake or 24 cupcakes.
🥕For tips on making this amazing carrot cake recipe, watch our video!
Don’t forget the frosting!
How to make this luscious vegan cream cheese frosting
Mom’s vegan carrot cake is so moist and full of flavor, you can enjoy it naked – no frosting haha! But if you’re like me, I prefer my cake fully dressed – with a generous dollop of this luscious vegan cream cheese frosting.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Should you make a purchase through those links, The Carrot Underground may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, ever.
Mom’s Vegan Carrot Cake
- Electric hand or stand mixer, or a large spoon to hand-mix
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- carrot grater
- cupcake pan
- cupcake liners
- pastry bag
- decorative tip for frosting
- 2-1/2 C flour all-purpose
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C vegetable oil
- 1-3/4 C brown sugar vegan
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs (I use powdered vegan egg replacer)
- 1 C pineapple crushed & drained
- 3 C carrots grated
- 1/2 C unsweetened coconut flaked
- 1 C walnuts chopped – optional
- 1/2 C golden raisins optional
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Sift together flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix oil, eggs, sugar, and vanilla.
- Gradually stir in flour, soda, cinnamon & salt.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Thoroughly mix.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Using a tablespoon or small ladle, fill each cup 2/3 full.
- Bake at 350º degrees for 25 – 28 minutes.
- Cool completely on rack and ice with vegan lemon cream cheese frosting.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Place ingredients in deep bowl.
- Using an electric mixer or hand whisk, cream ingredients together till smooth and fluffy.
- Decorate cake or cupcakes. Refrigerate till ready to serve.