Garden Zucchini Squash Casserole 🌱 Fresh zucchini, yellow squash, and ripe red tomatoes topped with toasted Italian breadcrumbs create this easy, healthy & colorfully delicious dish! GF and oil-free options.
I love putting together this vibrant, vitamin-rich and scrumptious veggie casserole. It’s so pretty, it’s as great to look at as it is to eat! This bright combo of fresh zucchini and yellow squash with juicy ripe tomatoes makes the perfect side dish with any pasta, potato, or tofu entree.
This post may contain affiliate links. I may earn from purchases at no additional cost to you.
A lot of us have been inspired to plant home vegetable gardens. If you’re like me, chances are you’ve included zucchini, maybe yellow squash, and tomatoes to your list of must-have veggies. Not only are they nutritious and easy to use in so many recipes – they also tend to grow in abundance! Ever run out of ideas how to use them? This recipe is perfect for showcasing the goodness of these great veggies!
Of course, you don’t need a home garden to create this dish. Pick up some zucchini, yellow squash & tomatoes at your local farmers market or grocery store and you’ll have practically everything you need to make this recipe.
What goes into a garden zucchini squash casserole?
This is such a simple dish to put together, but it looks so gorgeous, you would think you spent a lot of time preparing it!
Here’s all you’ll need:
- 2- 3 medium size zucchini
- 2-3 medium yellow squash
- 3-4 medium ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil – (omit for oil-free)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 C Italian Panko breadcrumbs – (use gluten-free, if needed)
- 3 tbsp vegan parmesan (optional)
- 2 tbsp fresh basil – chopped
How to make a garden zucchini squash casserole
- Preheat oven to 400º
- Thoroughly wash zucchini, yellow squash, and tomatoes.
- Slice in thin rounds (about 1/3″ thick)
- Pour a small amount of olive oil in the bottom of a medium size or 7″ x 11″ baking dish. Spread around to coat bottom of dish.
- Begin stacking the veggies on end, in rows, staggering the colors. I find it easiest to tip the dish slightly on end while layering.
- Next, drizzle a small amount of olive oil over the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Cover top of veggies with Italian Panko breadcrumbs. You can add vegan parmesan if you like . . . check out this easy recipe!
- Cover pan with foil. I prefer to place a layer of parchment paper between the food and the foil.
- Bake at 400º for 20 minutes. Remove foil/parchment and continue baking for 10 minutes, or until breadcrumbs turn golden brown and juice is bubbling in the bottom of the dish.
- Allow casserole to sit 5 – 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle fresh basil over top.
very vegan 🌱very good
Garden Zucchini Squash Casserole
- Parchment paper
- aluminum foil
- medium ovenproof baking dish
- 2-3 medium zucchini washed & sliced 1/3" thick rounds
- 2-3 medium yellow squash washed & sliced 1/3" thick rounds
- 3-4 medium tomatoes washed & sliced 1/3" thick rounds
- 2 tbsp olive oil oil free option – replace oil with 2-3 tbsp vegetable broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp sea salt coarse
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 C breadcrumbs Italian Panko style (use gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbsp basil fresh – chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Coat bottom of baking dish with a small amount of olive oil
- Stack zucchini, yellow squash, and tomato slices on end (staggering in order) in rows, filling the pan.
- Sprinkle veggies with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper
- Drizzle remaining olive oil over top of veggies
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over all
- Cover with parchment and foil (layer parchment between food and foil)
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes covered
- Uncover and continue baking for 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden brown and juices are bubbling in bottom of pan.
- Remove from oven. Allow casserole to sit for 5 – 10 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil before serving.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!
If you’ve enjoyed this recipe, please consider rating it using stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️in the comments below. It helps other readers and allows more people to find it online. I love hearing from you! Let’s keep in touch!